Tuesday 4 May 2010

Ride no 31 - wobbly canter in the woods!

Tues 4th May 2010

Later addition here - Forgot to say, I wondered whether the last 2 rides would have jaded D's view of me and, when I arrived he was in the back field by himself, having had his breakfast. I walked up to him with the halter but actually didn't need to put it on as he stopped eating, came to me, then turned and started going down to the shed by himself with me walking next to him! I must admit I thought "Phew, nothing broken!"

Only time for a quick ride again due to my time schedule ( bank hol yesterday. didn't ride). D a bit grumpy going out - may be feet again, usually that's the reason if he's lagging. Once we got to the woods however, he was off! Fab ride, D really forwards - as was M today. Went downhill a long way and through the overgrown path which originally prompted me to ride off the lead rein. S and I had a little reminisce!

Coming back up, S suggested a canter. Oooh! I felt a slight moment of trepidation but that quickly changed to excitement! However, D was not at all happy at the prospect of cantering and just ran faster and faster with his head up. M was already cantering so S came past at which point I managed to get D to canter (very ungracefully!) but he shot forward throwing his head about despite the fact my reins were very loose. He felt to me just like many horses I've ridden who are afraid of cantering because they are worried about being socked in the mouth. He broke very quickly into a raggedy trot and then got into an ENORMOUS stride up the rest of the hill!

Mm. He may need me to ride him into more of a contact which is exaggeratedly fluid so he knows what to expect. Or he may need me to get off his back - in which case, I will defo need a short contact in case he decides to try a buck. S knows of a good long, narrow, uphill path where we can try our next canter. Goodo! Feeling very riding-school-kid, looking forward to my next canter!!

Nice ride back, feeling good...

No comments:

Post a Comment