Tuesday 4 May 2010

Ride no 29 - Horse Alley. Not a pleasant ride!

Thurs 29th April 2010

An Oh Dear day....
Took D for a walk then came back and went down horse alley. After passing the last house before the horse fields, I got on. D very good as a horsebox was starting up in the drive next to us.

I had decided to ride D away from home down horse alley to push him out of his comfort zone a bit. My thinking was that this is the best way to test where we are with the relationship - i.e. how well he trusts me. Mmm. I know what the answer is.......Duncan couldn't wait to get home after this episode and even called out to M which is cast iron feedback that 1. he did not enjoy himself and 2. Did not feel safe with me. Bummer. This journey is a bit frustrating at times!!!

So, what we did. Progressed very slowly but D had such sticky feet that I had to keep disengaging his HQ to get him to walk forward - which he would then do very reluctantly. I would then let him eat before disengaging his HQ and repeating the whole thing. In this pattern, we spent at least half an hour and I thought he was simmering down when a woman with a dog came up from the scout camp and D went on high alert.

I really could have done with spending another hour there but Alas, due to a kitchen flood my time was short so after leaving on a not-too-bad note (or so I thought), we hurried home very quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment