Monday 25 January 2010

Ride no 7 - more solo and funny signs of confidence!

Mon 25th Jan 2010

We were a bit late getting out ( I have had a dizzy day!) and set off on the usual road ride as the horses had to keep their feet dry for the farrier. I noticed straight off that Duncs was not his usual self, he was hanging back and pulling a grumpy face. He is so expressionfull (new word!) that it's funny. Saying that, he was obviously not happy. This could either be a) because he was uncomfortable or b) he is getting used to the routine and is not too impressed by it!

I think it was the former as later he lagged behind so much I got off and walked. He felt tired but I guess he could have just been not enjoying me riding (or "having me on" in traditional terms!). Either way, me getting off was the right thing to do as it's all about the RELATIONSHIP! Aha, light bulbs flashing in my mind.

Anyway, to rewind, I got on at the usual bank. D totally chilled, waiting for his treats. I rubbed a while then asked him to walk on. I have been doing this very gently, he's a bit sticky which could be lack of confidence - or nappiness - but again I'm realising that, whichever it is, to keep him sweet I should always try to take the line of least resistance so he thinks "that was OK, I don't mind doing that!"

We turned up dry hill and after a short way, I took my lead rope. All good, checked out the LF. Whilst going up the track, we met a herd of vivacious horses. D's tail kinked up but I was already on the ground! I felt completely confident handling him from the ground which was a nice feeling and I had to work quite hard to keep him out of my space. I got on again - lots of puffing! ...and off again (horses returning) and on again...and off again. All good mounting practice but need to do some more from the off side!

D was very relaxed about me riding today but, as mentioned, was not his usual forward-going self. The best bit for me was, as we approached the mounting bank going home, having a trot, I praised D and rubbed his neck. He slowed to a stop and turned his head round for a treat! Now this may seem like an undesirable habit but, as I said at the time, I'd rather greedy pony than nervous pony any day! Afterwards I also realised what absolute proof this is D recognises that it's me on his back and what we've done on the ground is truly carrying through to on top now.

I LOVE that we are developing a quirky relationship, much like I had with Zebs. I let Zebs "get away with" things other people wouldn't, I'm sure, but he looked after me which was priceless! I think Duncs has that potential which is very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment