Tuesday 19 January 2010

Ride no 5!

Mon 17th Jan 2010

Finally S and I got out together after the last big freeze! Walked out the usual way. D was forward going in a very happy way. Overtook M on the downhill and trotted up the uphill. When I got on, he was chilled - totally. What a great feeling. I was really looking forward to riding after the last session. Knowing that d is feeling more positive has given my confidence (and affection fr him!) a massive boost.

After mounting (not pretty!) we stood still with D on a slack lead rein as now need to get on & hurry up and relax - instead of hurry up!

Had a lovely ride down towards Scarletts lake. Talked about all the places we could ride this year! The horses were very brave crossing the tiny bridge with a roaring flood passing underneath. I used my reins a couple of times to steer towards the end but not easy when on the lead rein. S and I agreed we will set it up next time for me to start taking more control (hopefully!) I now realise that doing all this out is going to be the way forward. I think D may have a bit of a "schooling" aversion whereas he loves going out.

When we got back, outside the house, S gave me the lead rein and I asked D to walk forward. He was a bit hesitant and i had to go to PH4 but the second and third time he reacted pretty quickly to my leg which I then quickly released and gave him a rub.

It's all very exciting. I've just got to remember to GO SLOW! Especially with my phases. Watched Savvy Club DVD tonight, "Rein positions demystified". I'm sure about the positions and their uses but what a job to remember all their names!!

My adapted hackamore fitted luckily (bought a warmblood halter to use with my reins).

No comments:

Post a Comment