Friday 1 January 2010

Got effective without getting M, M or M! Umbrella FG day 1

Friday 1st Jan 2010!

It was a cold, dry day - hurrah! I went up in the morning and after feeding the neds, a bit of scratching and dab with a plastic curry comb, I got the b/b pad on D (no moving away - progress!) and he stood positively beaming for his halter. It was plainly obvious D was up for doing something.

We went for a walk as it's been a while and, now we can get out, it's so nice to. Understandably, D was a bit goggly at the gate and M called a bit today as its been 3 weeks. I just waited for D until he relaxed and then he went out with a spring in his step. Had a lovely walk. D very responsive whilst quite pingy.

Went down the road and into the woods. Interesting in the woods, D stopped and goggled, lots of rustling and branches crackling in the undergrowth. I resisted the urge to "get him listening to me" and when the dogs burst out (pursued by Flick) he did half a spin but that was it. That's what I really love about D, he's switched on but doesn't lose his head. The more I experience with him, the more confident I become as I see where is limits are. Ollie would have done a lot worse!

Our biggest test came meeting other horses. On the way out, D heard but didn't see some horses ahead and got quite excited. On the way back, a horse came up behind us and D started cavorting. I told the rider that he was just excited to see them but would probably do his stallion impression. On cue, D dropped his willy out!!!!! Tailed kinked right over his back, I'm not sure I would have fancied being on board at that time! However, saying that, D still listened to me which was gratifying so the same might apply when we get to riding. And of course, I can always get off!

I kept sending D round me by yielding the HQ into FQ yields. he got a bit uppity when the horse left and did a few protest bucks but nothing too wild. I was really pleased with my progress today as I was able to get effective without getting mean, mad or moody - or flailing my arms around too much! I know I did too much with my stick, i.e. a phase 3 in the air when I could have just used my body position but I didn't touch D which meant he didn't get offended.

I think this is partly because my technique is developing through experience but mostly it's about being confident in my ability to deal with situations with Duncan. What bolsters my confidence is living though each situation. So, this year, I need to seek out lots of challenging situations that D and I can hopefully get through intact e.g. going to shows. Once I know I can handle D most anywhere, I will feel super-confident!

Ooh, almost forgot - UMBRELLA FRIENDLY GAME!

I took a broken small blue umbrella out in my pocket. On the way out, after the pond, I took it out and opened it out a bit. D was scared, stopped dead and, for a moment stepped back. I just kept walking and it was amazing how quickly he changed and was trying to catch up with me and bite the umbrella. Actually he wanted to throw the umbrella for a treat but I kept tight hold as this is one toy D is not going to get a hold of again!

By the time we were in the woods I was waving it from side to side. I put it away until we were back on the home stretch and then did a bit with it in the field. I was able to move it around D's air space up to Zone 3 without him showing much reaction and left it there. He's getting so much braver with all the different things he's seeing. I shall work up to the golfing umbrella over time.

Time for bed but glad I've caught up - especially as Beth has just updated her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment