Sunday 23 January 2011

Duncan's Up For It!

Tues 18th Jan 2011

Very short on time so out for a quick walk. Was going to go to the Scout camp but found a gate leading to a bridleway open. Duncs very keen to explore. When we got onto the bridleway (to Ashurst Wood), I got on with the intention of riding home but Duncs wanted to go on! I'm sure he would have taken me all the way to Ashurst Wood!

Sadly, we had to go back but it gave me a good feeling as he was obviously so confident and willing.

Weds 19th Jan 2011 - hack with Amy

Buoyed up by the success of yesterday, I tried riding Duncs OUT through the "big" woods to meet Amy. Not so long ago, he was reluctant to go into the woods even with me on foot and, by the time we reached "The Secret Garden", he would be wanting to turn round and having a paddy. We have gradually got further and further on foot and I hoped he'd remember that he usually gets to meet up with Basil!

Well, it was partly successful in that Duncs did get almost to Basil but he went very, very slowly! I had to resist the urge not to chivvy him as I was late. He held it together until we got into the woods proper and then he really started baulking which was a bit disappointing but it was very slippery underfoot too which didn't help. I got off and tried to go round the mud but Duncs had other ideas and turned round, knocking into me. I was just cursing him when Amy appeared like an Angel in the mist!

Phew! Once aboard again - in company - we had a brilliant ride! We went across the Holtye road and did a triangle through the golf course. Duncan was out in front the whole time, bold as brass. Really forward going when we trotted, he thoroughly enjoyed himself. I was laughing all the way.

When we left Basil, I stayed on board but the creeping resumed. I was just thinking I'd have to get off to go quicker (late to pick up Edmund!) when Duncs started calling and speeded up dramatically himself. I was a bit concerned he'd take off and decided I'd much go home on Shanks' Pony! Actually he walked back a lot more calmly than he usually does. He may be getting more sensible - or he might just have been tired! Either way, we had a great ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment