Friday 14 January 2011

Enlightenments of the New Year

I was given a book by Mark Rashid for Xmas, "Horses never lie", and what a cracker it is! I read it cover to cover in a day (was away at the in-laws being lazy!)

Three things that I read in the book stuck out for me:

1. Horses are pre-programmed to conserve their energy for life-preserving events. Therefore, if they are not convinced that what you are asking is important, they may switch into "conservation mode"!

2. Rewarding the slightest try really means the slightest which may be minuscule for you. Ways to improve your success are a) slowing way down b) not being too busy "doing things to" the horse c) releasing the cue on perception of anything which might be a try.

3. Let the horse "have his say" a little bit during training. This is the same as Pat's "Cause your idea to become the horses idea but understand his idea first" and Linda's "Let me help you!" Interesting to hear it described in another way by Mark.

Looking back to my last ride in the arena at Pippa's before Xmas, I had was ignorant or had forgotten all of the above! The ground was frozen so I was only able to walk. P and I were chatting rather than giving Duncs anything to do but every now and again P commented that the walk had lost purpose and Duncs was dawdling! I then chivvied him up a bit whilst in my mind thinking "I ought to be doing some lateral work or something" and worrying "I hope he's not going to turn out to be really lazy!"

Afterwards I thought that, next time, I would take the initiative and take responsibility for giving Duncs a job. I am so used to being micro-managed in a lesson scenario that I don't like to do anything I'm not asked to do, and make sure I do what I'm told to! I realise now that it is not going to be like this with P which is refreshing as I am not short of ideas if I've got the freedom to express them!

Reading Mark's book has given me a completely new insight into Dunc's "laziness" and actually made me feel pretty relieved too. After my lesson today (2 weeks on from the above, I now think that Duncs, once relaxed, may need the "Zebedee" (LBI) attitude from me which I could sum up as "Yay! Let's do something exciting!" Fabulous if it comes to pass as that's my absolute favourite way of being with a horse! )

1 comment:

  1. Interesting reading as always Lucy!

    Don't forget another thing Pat says..."Horses are natural followers looking for a leader" - or words to that effect!

    And here's another... If your horse can be recreation for you, how can you be recreation for your horse?

    See you very soon!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete