Sunday 18 April 2010

Ride No 23. Towards Dry Hill. Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Thurs April 15th 2010

Ooh, I really needed a good day and I really got it! Duncs was great today. S and I went right onto the main road and down to the bridge over Scarletts Lake. Then we went straight on up the path to Dry Hill! We haven't done this before. I put the boots on D - which is a struggle with the pads and inserts but worth it as he then has a spring in his step instead of lagging behind and is happy to walk on any surface.

D was very bold and often in front leading the way. He's so much more confident with Moet - need him to feel that confident with me!!! I lost my bottle when faced with going under a low branch, didn't fancy getting squashed! D's still not great when things touch my upper body (but getting better) so I had visions of him panicking if my head touched the branch. We went round the tree but the descent was vertical so I got off! Not very brave!

What I was most impressed with with was riding round the fields that lead to Dry Hill, D was totally chilled but forward going. Unlike many horses, he didn't get on the grass and think "Whey Hey"! I really like that in a horse - that they stay calm on any surface - usually it's because they have had a good education and not been bombed about.

Ooh, the other great thing was, D had the bridle on. Fabbo. I love it!! He chomps quite a lot on a loose rein but once a gentle contact is picked up, he becomes much more steady. What I really liked was, as he set off on his Icelandic tolt, I held a steady contact and pushed him forwards and he slowed down and gave slightly. GREAT! The start of going into the bridle. You can tell that, although he's a bit unsettled in his mouth, it hasn't been messed up. He's very much like Ollie who was very unsettled to start with but, with time and the right bits, settled down completely.

The weather was fab and I really enjoyed myself and so did D so what a great "upper". Just what the doctor ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment