Tuesday 9 February 2010

Ride No 10 (Ashurst Wood). First little buck! First "contact" on reins

Mon Feb 8th 2010

Ooh, it was cold again today and I haven't got any cold-weather boots (too stingy to buy any). It was actually snowing for some of the ride. Luckily S lent me a pair of very warm gloves as I'd forgotten mine.

We went on a different ride today. Down the lane, across the field and down and up the track to the large grey house in Ashurst Wood (name escapes me) - my old stomping ground with Ollie.

I walked until we got to the gate at the top of the steep muddy track down. D was quite lively especially looking at other horses - who didn't come over - so no excitement. S suggested I get on as it was not fun walking down, espec as D apparently has a tendency to take his own route and squish you if you are in the way! I got on (by myself) by lining him up to a gate, bit of a stretch but he stood like a trooper waiting fro his treats!

Once on, I really did not enjoy the downward descent one bit! I felt so unsafe. Weird, I don't remember being quite so worried about going downhill - never enjoyed it though. D gets a bit joggy downhill - trying to get it over with. With no contact on the reins or use of my legs to help him to balance (I know this is not necessary!), I felt like a sitting duck. Interesting!

Anyway, we survived and uphill was fine! Had a trot, D pretty slow, picking his way. Once onto the tarmac, I did some flexing and disengaging etc. All good although I notice D is often bracey against the right rein when walking along. This can be eliminated by an exaggerated body twist so that your seat bones and legs really push him into the right shape. Good reminder for me as I tend to sit quite still.

On the road D slowed considerably and we got left behind a fair bit. He was always happy to catch up 'though. I was not over enamoured with his trotting today, quite a lot of head up, choppy strides, not using his back end properly so, although I should perhaps still be riding passenger most of the time, I'm thinking that I don't want that to continue or D will get a big undermuscle on his neck...more on this later.

Coming back on the road, D seemed a bit footy again. He is sometimes a bit shorter in his near fore stride in trot. I let him dawdle a bit as I don't want him to become sour through being chased when he's uncomfortable.

As we came to the muddy track downhill, which is a narrow path enclosed by trees at the top, there was a snow storm blowing across the path through a gap in the trees. I had a feeling D would be whey hey at getting back on the soft ground, espec as M was a way ahead. I leaned back and held the BB handle. Sure enough D surged forward, tossed his head and did a little buck! I know I left the BB pad as I came down with a bump! I felt him kick his right hind out as I landed. That was all. If he'd wanted to, he could have gone for it but he didn't and I didn't feel scared afterwards so that was all good.

I did call out to S that I was going to stop though and bent him - easily - to a stop. I then flexed him a couple of times before walking on. As a precaution, I asked S to wait for me going down the rest of the hill!

On the way back up, in case the horses in the fields came over, I took up a light "contact" and used my legs as D tried to slow to gawp. How interesting, D rounded his neck and slowed a bit listening to me and I commented to S that he actually felt more secure in himself. I also felt more secure too - interesting! Will chew on this one... (memory pathways?) Anyway, I now know that D remembers his early traditional training with respect to giving to the contact - which is great and bodes very well for the future.

I rode all the way home, except up the last bit of road as I felt rather stiff and cold. Thought D would prob appreciate me getting off too. What a great day, lots to think about and celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment