Friday 12 March 2010

Ride No 18 - By myself in the field!!!!!!

Fri 12th March 2010

Oh, what a good day today. It was quite mild which was nice. the ground's been so good, I had been really looking forward to getting an opportunity to have a play - and ride - in the top field.

Rich had Ed as he was off today - going to B & Ms pm. Couldn't have had a better Mothers' Day present!

I put out the tarp, two "barrels", single cones dotted about, the ball and the tyre. D was keen to go up to investigate the toys - much more confident now. M came too which helped of course. Did a lot extreme FG with orange bag - D nervous again but fine in the end. Better to get him walking so it's not his sole focus. The retrieving's coming on. About 5 of the throws he gave back to me or rather I was able to take from him and reward before he dropped the bag.

Lots of touch it, driving and some circling. We went towards the tarp and D would have gone up to it but I stopped him short a couple of times and decided to leave it for another session. Good that he just got to see it again as he was goggling a bit.

The circling was the best. The first time, after I'd backed D out, he took off before I asked but I thought "I'll take that" and he went round a couple of laps before I stopped him. After that, he kept wanting to go after the back-up but I was quicker than he was. At last, the tools are starting to feel more part of me than unwieldy objects to be wrestled with! I did a lot of yo-yo until he was waiting nicely for instruction then sent him the other way. He did 4 laps right in trot completely voluntarily. Cool!

Time to get on....I had the stool ready. As with previous mountings in the field, D was very tense. head up, eyes afraid, neck braced. I sat and rubbed but it didn't make a lot of difference so I leaned right forward and looked him in the eye and talked to him, giving him a good rub. I reminded him that I wouldn't ask him to do anything he didn't want to do which did the trick! You can literally see the tension leave his face then is the time to ask him to walk on. I had decided to just do point to point as it keeps the pressure off and the rewards coming!

D did absolutely fabulously. He walked willingly every time. I never once had to whip-whop. A couple of times he felt tense but just waiting or flexing slightly would do the trick. Steering was good. He tends to drift left a little so I must check my seat. I rode "forward" a bit exaggeratedly then stopped in the same fashion for clarity.

Did some flexing and disengaging, very pleasing soft responses. Towards the end, I guess I lost focus a bit as we were near M and I thought we'd have a little chill. D started off towards the gate and it took me a moment to realise he was probably thinking about taking me to the shed! I decided not to wait & see and was able to turn him easily and stop. Did a couple more Touch It's and called it a VERY GOOD day! Felt like we've come a really long way today.

No comments:

Post a Comment