Friday 1 October 2010

Back to one line zone 5 driving. How did I forget control of the feet? A funny pattern develops...

It's now a week since my last blog entry so I'll recap for the week:

Monday 27th Sept - pm

Had a tricky session in terms of my rope and dog handling skills. Flick (tiny Jack Russell) really doesn't like to be attached to me when I'm so close to Duncan but she's not obedient enough to stay off-lead on the roads. She wanders all over the place then just stands and stares when I call her (very annoying - it doesn't help my karma!). This is something I need to address obviously but, in the meantime, I will try to exercise her independently of Duncs for one of our 3 sessions each week.

Today I wondered if Duncs would be transformed after our bonding last week. I have a tendency to drift into storyland when imagining myself with horses (the reality of course being somewhat different!). It's the legacy of reading too many pony books in my formative years.

Well, Duncs was certainly different.....At the gate to go out, he was aware of some horses moving about up the road. I was chatting to Sarah whilst waiting for the goggling to finish but then D decided he wanted to go with them. I politely but firmly said no with the rope against the side he was leaning towards, whereupon Duncs threw himself round and tried to head back to the field.

I was a bit surprised and reacted instinctively - which was good because Duncan stopped - but not so good in that I gave a loud "NO!" and flapped my arms around feverishly! The "Old Me" would have followed this with some choice swearing so I guess I've come on a bit....

Whether I scared Duncs or he was just testing the boundaries today I don't quite know. I think it's a bit of both - the indicator is usually him pulling faces at me! I used to get bolshy back until I realised there was a bit of insecurity causing him to try to take the lead. I still haven't worked it all out...

Anyway, I was so wrapped up in retreating from thresholds and moving his feet, that I really didn't have time to worry. I had watched Pat teaching the circling game to a new horse the evening before where he emphasises the 3 slaps on the ground required initially to get the horse to understand they need to get going. I realised I have never been that strong or clear for fear of offending Duncs. This day, I gave it some welly! Perfect circles, Yes Maam!

We did back-ups for a long way, sideways, tapping the back legs to walk forwards 2 steps then back-up 2 steps, squeeze, lateral flexion. It was great and I remembered that I had forgotten about how important it is that you are the one moving the horses feet. How could I forget that? Too long spent walking in straight lines! Actually, too long spent "following" Duncan as opposed to "driving" him!

The other thing I realised was that I do need to go back to one line driving. How interesting...I need to be free of the second line so that at any moment, I can send Duncs any way because we are not yet at the level of communication where two lines can be used for refinement. I suddenly understood for myself why 2 lines should really only be used after you've mastered one (I have of course been told this by my ever-patient instructor!)

How typical of me...always trying to run before I can walk, jumping in at the deep end (how hard can it be?!) then realising I've forgotten to take the swimming lessons. Or, as I previously blogged, attach 2 lines, stand behind horse, then realise I don't know how to ask him to walk on! Is this because I'm gung-ho or lazy. Both, I fear! Must Try Harder....

We only got to the end of the road but I felt we'd covered an awful lot of ground. Duncs was quite sparky which, had he not been offering me things, I would have taken to be tension. Instead, I realised he was just really engaged. Err?? What's happening here?!

Tues 28th Sept 2010

Well, well. Duncs was really pleased to see me, Ooh, I'm getting the feeling....no, too early to be sure......am I at last going to find out the secret of how to be The Alpha?! Oooh, how exciting...

I can't remember all the ins and outs (probably just as well, this blog is going on too long) but Duncs was FAB!

I set myself up for success and went out:
  • Without the dog
  • With plenty of time
  • Only one 22' line
  • One carrot stick
Incidentally, before going out the next time (months after starting zone 5 driving!), I actually went onto the Savvy Club members site, searched for Zone 5 driving, dug out a DVD from 2006 and watched it!!! At last, a small glimmer of hope that I might become a responsible student!!!

We went up the road and into the village hall car park (we load up here so it's a good place to visit for a mooch) then back down and all the way into the scary Little Woods. I was very busy again AFTER retreating from each threshold. As we went into the woods Duncs was BLOWING OUT! I couldn't believe it. We went to the muck heap and I let him investigate it - he has a poo fascination, I guess from his days wild on the New Forest. I'm now wondering who, in a herd, would do the poo sniffing to see who'd been where. Have to Google that!

I had that really connected forward-going feeling from Duncs again today. He wanted to play touch-it with everything and was constantly looking round at me - hoping for a treat if truth be told! However, I know it's not just cupboard love. There's a bit more trust and respect going both ways between us now. Aahh. xxx

Thurs 30th Sept 2010

Whoah! Duncs went out like a rocket! Keen as mustard, very few thresholds, couldn't wait to go down the Scout Camp lane (his favourite - good grass and classy mares to look at!). Despite being keen, he was looking to me for guidance and was much more polite about eating, i.e. heading towards the grass but when I indicated I wanted him to go on, he did.

We turned up the path to the arena and Duncs trotted up there (!) which I encouraged. I was just loving how confident he felt. We came back down and Duncs willingly headed down towards the camp again, away from home. All the horses in the field alongside crowded up to the fence. Duncs was interested but, how funny, I have inadvertently trained a pattern into him!

What usually happens is the horses come over and Duncs does the equivalent of a dog straining on it's leash! I then back him up and, when his attention is on me, give him a treat. This day, in his super-confident mode, Duncan looked at the horses time and again then turned to me with his rapt "I get a treat now" face! Of course I obliged! Wow, I'd love to develop that pattern for when I'm on board!! See another horse, stop for a bit of apple? Yes please!

Despite Duncs good behaviour, I was aware that I still have my own thresholds round other horses. In the beginning, the mere sight of another horse would set him off cavorting and it's only thinly under the surface now. That said, he's come a long way (me too!).

I found myself thinking "Ooh, I hope they don't all start cantering about, I'd like to go back" but I said to myself "It's OK, you can go back any time you like, but just wait a bit longer as Duncs is actually fine". Hey, this approach and retreat works for me too!

There was a sticky moment when Duncs didn't want to leave his new buddies to go home but it soon passed and all the way home was asking me questions; "Shall I touch that wheelie bin?" "What about that cone?" "Shall I trot up the road like we usually do?" It was great.

Just so I didn't get above myself 'though, when I turned him out, he cantered off without a backward glance to the new grass!

No comments:

Post a Comment