Saturday 14 November 2009

Ride number 4! A change of attitude when mounting.

Saturday 15th Nov 09

It was blowing an absolute gale today and, in the "wind tunnel" where the field shelter is, you could hardly stand up. Good for the ground after the torrential downpour yesterday.

Got to the field about 9.45 and we set off about 10.15. I was a bit concerned about the weather and if we might end up with a tree on our heads, but once out, it was a lot quieter. I thought D might be on his toes but he was actually the quietest he's been yet going out. He felt a bit stiff when I rode (as opposed to tense) or that could just be him when he's not fizzy! He was ok anyway and I knew he was going to be fine to ride as soon as we set off. The fact he tried to bite me a few times sealed it!

We went along the same route and I got on at the same handy bank. This time, D was noticeably different. In the moment between me sitting on and D walking on I usually get a coiled spring feeling and I'm relieved when S pulls us forwards! Today, he was chilled, no coiled spring, Still had to be pulled forwards but a different feeling - great! It may be tied in to him being less forward going today of course so I will be interested to see how he is next time.

D was great the whole ride. Kept criss-crossing behind M as usual on the way back but S and I are getting quite good at passing the rope back & forth! One discovery today...I started patting myself - as on the previous ride - to make a bit of noise and movement. D trotted again and suddenly I thought....hang on, this is what I do to up my phases to walk on, except I've got a rope in my hand. I also noticed D was trotting without tension. So, conclusion was to stop or I will desensitise him to my Go phases (I was stopping patting when he was walking!)!

So, I just moved my body around a bit, patted his bum a bit, swung my legs. Need to do some leaning forwards now. Thinking it over as I was riding I realised I don't actually need to do extreme FG on top of D and risk my neck. Everything I do on the ground will translate to what I'm doing on top - now where have I heard that before?! I do need to get him used to me moving but I can incorporate more movement each time I ride.

Back to the field, S got off and led us from the ground the last bit as M was really hard work today. I didn't feel like doing anything else hen we got back although I thought perhaps I should. Too cold and great to finish on a good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment